Friday, February 09, 2007

Friday Flowers: Sunflowers

I love flowers and have decided to feature a picture each Friday. My niece often does a Feline Friday post, and as I have no cats, my feature will be Friday Flowers.
This picture was taken last fall at a high school close to our home. The students had planted a garden and I loved the contrast of the "two towers". In the winter we rely on the power lines for warmth and light. The sunflower seeds provide energy for birds and other critters in the cold season. Man's designs and inventions are creative and unique, and the design of the sunflower is a spectacular and useful gift from the Creator. Here is another poem by Mary Oliver.

The Sunflowers
by Mary Oliver

Come with me
into the field of sunflowers.
Their faces are burnished disks,
their dry spines creak like ship masts,
their green leaves,
so heavy and many,
fill all day with the sticky sugars of the sun.
Come with me
to visit the sunflowers,
they are shy but want to be friends;
they have wonderful stories
of when they were young -
the important weather, the wandering crows.
Don't be afraid
to ask them questions!
Their bright faces, which follow the sun,
will listen, and all
those rows of seeds -
each one a new life! hope for a deeper acquaintance;
each of them, though it stands
in a crowd of many,
like a separate universe, is lonely, the long work
of turning their lives
into a celebration
is not easy. Come and let us talk with those modest faces,
the simple garments of leaves,
the coarse roots in the earth
so uprightly burning.


7 comments:

  1. A great idea--Friday flowers.
    And Mary Oliver, a favorite of mine.
    Such a treat for a Friday.
    When we have visited some European countries, it is astounding to see FIELDS of sunflowers--and as the earth rotates, the sunflower faces keep turning to face the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be looking foreward to Fridays over here- it's a wonderful idea! You launched Friday Flowers with my favorite flower too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, Friday Flowers is a great idea! That sunflower looks as if a smile will break out at any moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great photo! I love sunflowers too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I need some flower power! And would love to ask questions in a whole field of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. KGMom- I could just imagine a fast frame movie of a field of flowers following the sun. I would set it to music and create a sunflower choir.

    Lynne- It is hard to imagine something more cheery than a sunflower. We must think alike!

    Mary- I will have to keep up the flower momentum. I have been going through old slides tonight...

    LauraO- Thanks. It is one of my favourite photos...and accidental composition.

    Dear Becka- my "flower child!"

    Laura- It is not hard to imagine carrying on a conversation with a flower that is as tall or taller than a human. I have sunflowers in my garden every year, planted by the birds of winter.

    ReplyDelete