Monday, August 11, 2008

August Blues

I have the blues...waiting in the rain for my master

Blue is my blog theme for the second full week of August. Language is such an interesting study. Blue seems like such a basic word but its meaning stretches from colour to emotion to music style to political stance. I speak only English but imagine the word has nuances in other languages as well.

I will have to work on my personal colour challenge and see what comes up in the next few days...

BLUE
Noun
1. The hue of that portion of the visible spectrum lying between green and indigo, evoked in the human observer by radiant energy with wavelengths of approximately 420 to 490 nanometers; any of a group of colors that may vary in lightness and saturation, whose hue is that of a clear daytime sky; one of the additive or light primaries; one of the psychological primary hues.

2. the colour of a clear unclouded sky
3. anything blue, such as blue clothing or blue paint: she is clothed in blue

...the Mourning Cloak butterfly rests on a blue car
(with a name like that I wonder if it has the blues too!

4. a sportsman who represents or has represented Oxford or Cambridge University
5. Brit informal a Tory
5. out of the blue unexpectedly
Adjective
[bluer, bluest]
1. of the colour blue; of the colour of a clear unclouded sky
2. (of the flesh) having a purple tinge from cold
3. depressed or unhappy

Noun, pl
the blues
1. a feeling of depression or deep unhappiness
2. a type of folk song originating among Black Americans

Shades of blue...sun umbrellas for the rain

8 comments:

  1. It is curious that BLUE has come to signify being sad. I find blue a wonderfully restful color, very restorative.
    Blue sky, blue water. Why is blue then sad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. So many blues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colour of the sky when it is blue.....but I never use blue in the house, it is not one of my favourite colours.....I love the post, with all your reflections on the colour....

    Felt sorry for the wet and sad looking dog.....or should I say the one with the doggie blues......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to mention feeling blue and wondering why we don't feel..well..green means an upset stomach. Seeing red means angry. I wonder why blue means sad...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:05 pm GMT-4

    I love your "blue" theme and blue photos. The little dog does seem rather blue. Hope there are blue skies where you are, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am partial to all blues - except the sad dog kind. I hope he wasn't alone in the rain very long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruth,

    Blue is a wonderful color and very relaxing. The "blues" is great music but can also mean that you are feeling a bit sad or melancholy.

    Wonderful theme and interesting post. Going now to read about Sunday. I love my Vista Home so far.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. KGMom- I like blue too, and I tried to answer your question today.

    NC- Life has many hues...that's what make it so interesting.

    Cheryl- I have a blue kitchen that I need to repaint to something more neutral. The dog's owner was nearby and equally wet.

    RW- I don't know how certain colours are associated with emotions. Maybe I should write about green sometime...

    April- Our blue skies peak through giant clouds this summer. Today is foggy and grey with rain in the forecast. I do appreciate every hour of sunshine.

    Kathleen- Blue is liked by most people I think. Blue skies, lakes and seas...universally enjoyed.

    Mary- Sad feelings do need expression. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.