Sunday, August 31, 2008

Trust


We visited LaSalle Park in Burlington, Ontario recently and walked a picturesque trail along the shore of Lake Ontario. A marina is located here and the birds and animals have become accustomed to a steady human presence in the area. In particular, chickadees and chipmunks would approach us boldly looking for handouts of nuts and seeds. My husband was delighted to have a chickadee land on his hand and to have several chipmunks approach him for peanuts.


Some people never learn trust. We have an elderly lady on our rehabilitation unit who never leaves the room without tying her important papers, whatever they are, on her body. She will not allow anyone to enter her apartment to bring clothes for her to wear at the hospital. She is suspicious and unhappy.

Other people distrust anything new. I have done internet banking for years, but others I know believe their personal information and money would be too accessible by criminals if they stopped using a teller at the bank. Some parents tend to over protect their children, not allowing them to walk to and from school or forbidding them to explore the neighbourhood on their own. How will they learn to develop and trust their own instincts?

Laura of Somewhere in NJ wrote a beautiful post this weekend and described the instinctive nature of a caterpillar who knows when it is time to become something new. Two of my monarch caterpillars are transforming today into their chrysalis form. What risks are they taking to hang immobile and defenseless for the next couple of weeks as they develop the wings of their beautiful butterfly form?


The tiny chipmunk has learned that people can be trusted. And people are delighted to see the trust that is shown as a vulnerable creature comes to their hand. There is some risk with trust, but no happiness without it.

God is also delighted in our trust. We can develop our God-given instincts and learn to trust his provision as well.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,

and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5,6

12 comments:

  1. Great Sunday post. How sad that so many people go through life full of distrust.

    I loved the photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth,

    This is wonderful post. I'm so glad that your husband enjoyed the chipmunks and other wildlife along the trail.

    I see where you visited Tommy Thompson Park. The butterflies are beautiful. Did you by any chance see a Red Admiral.

    Butterflies in this area were scarce this year. I did see a couple of Monarchs, but not the Red Admirals that usually visit here. However, there were many varieties of bird species that I haven't seen in years.

    Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos. Your blog is always so inspiring.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ditto NC Mtn Woman ... a great Sunday Post! I always love how you meld your photos so well with the thoughts you express.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful and meaningful post.....our journey through life can often leave us not trusting.....our experiences will be different from person to person....the elderly often seem frightened (I look after my parents and mother-in-law)....I have seen great changes over the last ten years, they are not the people they once were....

    I noticed one of your comments was about the Red Admiral....I saw my first yesterday and posted......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruth, this is such a touching and true post. Thank you - I love the trust of the chipmunk - so tiny and defenseless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:07 pm GMT-4

    A very thoughtful post, Ruth. Cute little chipmunk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband drives a school bus, and will be picking up several children to transport them just two blocks to the school. I asked why they couldn't walk, as my walk to school used to be two blocks, then a long path through an orchard. He said the trust is not there anymore, and parents insist on total busing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post Ruth. It is true that in order to grow and be happy, we have to learn to trust something. I am always sad for those who go through their entire lives distrustful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:38 am GMT-4

    Just recently a blind person visited my sister's farm. The girl has been blind from birth and knows a totally different world that I cannot even begin to think about. That day she explored and did things that she only would dream about. She went for a paddle boat ride, she went for a ATV ride, she even drove a golf cart. Within 5 minutes of meeting my sister she built an instant bond and knew she could trust her. It was a great uplifting day for all of us. The blind girl saw joy and happiness and us sighted ones see how we take our eyes for granted. As they say that when you lose a sense the others are much stronger and I'm sure that she could sense that my sister was someone she could trust within minutes. We that are sighted can see the dangers around us and because of that it's harder for us to trust. When you finally have gain the trust of whether it's an animal or human it's a wonderful feeling. I'm sure you husband was thrilled to win over the little fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ruth--I suspect that chipmunk has its eye on the peanut, and would bolt at the slightest sudden movement. Not to say it doesn't trust--but it may be more like the woman who ties important papers on her. It stays prepared.
    I bet you see quite a bit of the effects of not trusting in your work--people show their suspicions, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  11. NCMW- Thanks. We all have times of distrust but it should not be our usual state.

    Mary- I have never seen a Red Admiral butterfly and will have to look for them.

    CS- Thank you for your kind comment.

    Cheryl- People need to visit your blog to see your Red Admiral, in England no less!

    Jean and April- thanks for visiting and commenting.

    Jan- How sad for those children. They may never learn to take risks.

    Jayne- I believe our personality traits become more pronounced as we age. Best to nip the unpleasant characteristics when we can.

    Cheryl D- What a nice story and a great example of trust. (I think you could start a blog ;-))

    KGMom- You are right. Trust is relative, but for chipmunks on average, this one showed a lot more trust than the ones in my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a lovely post Ruth. I enjoyed seeing the little chipmunk.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.