Sunday, September 12, 2010

Yarn Bombing

Main Street Bridge, Cambridge ON, September 12, 2010

I never heard of yarn bombing or guerilla knitting until this summer when odd pieces of knitting appeared on lamp posts and fences in our city. There is a blog from western Canada called Yarn Bombing and the authors recently published a book on the topic. It is a world wide phenomena and the blog shows some pretty unusual and sometimes amusing pieces of yarn art.


The textile industry was very important to the City of Cambridge in years gone by. The textile factories are now closed but fibre artist Sue Sturdy came up with the idea of commemorating this history by covering one of the bridges which crosses the Grand River with knitting. Knitters from the region have contributed to the project over the past several months. I don't know who did the final fitting, but the finished project in "grand" in scale. All four arches of the bridge as well as all the posts are completely covered in knitting. The work will be dismantled at the end of the month and the pieces are going to be stitched together to create blankets and scarves for needy people.


If I was inclined to do any knitting, it would not be for a bridge or lamp post. But I saw several proud contributors having their photos taken while standing next to their bridge work. Young girls to great-grandmothers (and maybe some men) took part in this community project.

Ruthie J of Nature Knitter identifies herself as a knitting addict. Her work is not found on a bridge or parking meter, but is available for very reasonable prices on Etsy. I have ordered a few items for gifts and I know she is a very reliable seller. She has shared some patterns with me, but knitting is not a relaxing past time for me at this stage in my life. So I will be content to wear something of Ruthie's and to admire the colourful bridge for a couple of weeks. And who knows where the next yarn bomb will be?

(I posted a few more pictures of the bridge on my other blog.)

11 comments:

  1. That is AMAZING Ruth! What creativity! I agree... Ruthie is a wonderful craftswoman and her creations are so well made. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if this is my favorite way to express art, but its nice to see that the pieces will be given to the needy in the end. I have tried my hands at knitting and I can do it...but don't have the patience for it. Like you, I would rather support a "true" knitters piece of work then mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine knitting a bridge cover. Maybe for a covered bridge?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom is a knitter, and she finds the yarn bombing to be quite hilarious
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, to AC--Ha ha--yes, covered bridge indeed. I wonder if the PA Dutch (down here where I live) thought of that.
    A most amusing post, Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must say that I would rather see a knitted piece be used by someone to keep warm,but this is most certainly interesting,and very colorful.
    Blessings,Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friends identify me as a knitting addict but really, I just love to do it. I can put it away though to attend to other more important things.

    I don't know if I would knit for something like that bridge (might be fun to be a part of a large project like that) but I do knit free hats for my midwife to give to the new babies she helps bring into the world. Everyone deserves a little handmade love.

    I do love that those knit pieces will be worn by the needy. Hopefully not too many are wool, they might felt to the bridge if it rains enough!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cool! I'm so very familiar with that bridge and it looks drastically different so colorful! I'm a fan of artists of any genre expressing themselves creatively in a new and positive way. It's a very fun way to comemmorate a city that, as you said, has deep history with the textile industry. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty and happiness with the end result helping others.Great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty and happiness with the end result helping others.Great.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.