Sunday, November 27, 2011

Advent One

My favourite seasonal card

Today is the first Sunday of Advent and the Christmas season is already in full swing. The wait for Christmas Day is endless for a child but for adults it sometimes means an over-full calendar, last minute rushing around and resentful obligation. I keep this old Christmas card with its peaceful winter scene and retreat there in my mind when I feel overwhelmed by the excesses of the season.

I enjoy the cultural aspects of the winter holiday season, the legends, decorations, feasting, and entertainment. I don’t care if people say Happy Holidays, Yule, Season’s Greetings, Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanzaa. But as a Christian who celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ, I also look for ways to make the season more meaningful spiritually.


As I get older I appreciate the extremes of emotion brought on by our society’s high expectations at this time of year.

Joy and sorrow
Companionship and loneliness
Abundance and poverty
Hope and despair
Health and illness
Good memories and regrets
Contentment and depression
Peace and disharmony
Blessing and obligation
Faith and cynicism

Christmas 2011 will be different for our family this year as people move about and family dynamics change. Change can be good. I plan to post often this season;- a picture, a story, a thought, as I look for something special to celebrate each and every day.


When (Jesus) came to the village of Nazareth, his boyhood home,
he went as usual to the synagogue on the Sabbath and stood up to read the Scriptures.
The scroll of Isaiah the prophet was handed to him.
He unrolled the scroll and found the place where this was written: 
 
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
for he has anointed me to bring Good News to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim that captives will be released,
that the blind will see, that the oppressed will be set free,
 and that the time of the Lord’s favor has come.
 He rolled up the scroll, handed it back to the attendant, and sat down.
All eyes in the synagogue looked at him intently.  Then he began to speak to them.
“The Scripture you’ve just heard has been fulfilled this very day!”
Luke 4:16-21 (NLT)

4 comments:

  1. Change can be good,but in part I tend to not like change very much. I hope this advent season will be filled with peace and joy for you.I love the warmth of that card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see the card. The second picture is poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card...I would keep it too. It's peaceful, simple, cozy and full of warmth. For me, there has been some changes at Christmas the past few years. I don't make a big deal out of it...my favorite part is being with family and friends and that is the best gift I can ask for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth--
    noticing the new look--very nice.
    And I agree that the scene depicted in your favorite seasonal card fits the season--no wonder it's a favorite.

    Here's hoping the best Christmas for you that your changing family circumstances can allow.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.