Monday, July 01, 2013

Happy Canada Day!


My daughter and I were talking about the French version of our National Anthem. We learned it phonetically at school but I never remember going through a translation of the words from French to English. Thanks to the Internet, I was able to find these words quickly and I like them a lot.

I am proud to be Canadian by birth. I saw many people today in Ottawa who come from nations around the world and now call Canada home. It is easy to find things to complain about but we should always be grateful for our freedom, peace, prosperity, safety, and future.


O Canada!
Terre de nos aieux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!
Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix!
Ton histoire est une épopée
Des plus brillants exploits.
Et ta valeur, de foi trempée,
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits

translates as:

O Canada!
Land of our forefathers,
Thy brow is wreathed with a glorious garland of flowers.
As in thy arm ready to wield the sword,
So also is it ready to carry the cross.
Thy history is an epic of the most brilliant exploits.
Thy valour steeped in faith
Will protect our homes and our rights
Will protect our homes and our rights.


3 comments:

  1. It's so weird that the two versions are our anthem are so dissimilar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Canada Day to you! I've got some French-Canadian relatives wandering up there but wouldn't know where to find them.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.