Sunday, August 28, 2016

Lessons on Staying Young

I see the worst of physical and cognitive aging every day in my work at a hospital. It is easy to feel disheartened and believe that this is the inevitable pathway to death. I seldom see people who age well as they do not enter the doors of our facility as patients.

I will share the stories of two people, born in the same year, who inspire me with their energy, passion and joie de vivre. 

Jim and Margaret Atwood in Mexico

Margaret Atwood is a prolific Canadian writer and poet who has published many successful novels, short stories, poetry collections and more. Her first graphic novel, Angel Catbird, is to be released September 6th after next weekend's Fan Expo Canada in Toronto. I follow her Twitter feed and drink her signature, bird-friendly coffee from Balzak’s.  (Her graphic novel explores the relationship between cats and songbirds.) She is a passionate environmentalist, feminist, and humanitarian. A good friend of mine met her at a writer’s conference in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico a few years ago. She posed with him in the photo above. She is not slowing down in her mid-70’s and is an inspiration to younger generations of writers and artists. Our youngest daughter Becka, has a table at Fan Expo and is selling her own comic books and art. She hopes to have an encounter with Ms. Atwood and purchase her new book. 

Aunt Ruth, in blue, with co-workers at her birthday party

I have a special aunt who shares my name. She has the busiest social calendar around and is a talented musician. She works for an insurance company in Toronto and commutes downtown four days a week. Her co-workers put on a big party for her 75th birthday. This year, the company sent her to Nashville TN to celebrate her next, or maybe next birthday. Did I mention she is a big NASCAR fan? She has known joy and grief and life has not been without struggles. But she is resilient, with the  gift of laughter and the making and keeping of friends. Her co-workers wrote the following comments on her birthday card.

“Your zest for life in an inspiration to us all” 
 “Happy birthday to a young team member” 
“You are so amazing! I want to be like you when I grow up”  
“You are such a joy to have on the team” 
Keep that young heart beating” 
  “Looking forward to working with you over the next year”.

I have written about ageism and our tendency to segregate people by birthdate. It starts early in preschool, ends in nursing homes and is pervasive in churches. I have the privilege of working with many young millennials and our age differences are insignificant. As a team we complete the tasks and goals of the day. Sometimes I get to be “Work Mom” to younger colleagues when asked for advice or a shoulder to cry on. Every generation has something to offer to those younger and older than themselves.  

I posted the poem Youth by Samuel Ullman earlier today. It deserves its own reading and expresses so many truths about chronological age vs functional age. Even when the body slows down and faculties dim, we can be young at heart.

Doubt, fear, despair, pessimism and cynicism age people who are 20 or 80.
Faith, hope, self-confidence, optimism, and wonder keep us young at any age. 

8 comments:

  1. Your aunt. Amazing. Living the life she wants to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I inherited some of her genes. I didn't inherit her extroversion.

      Delete
  2. Ruth--love the focus on Margaret Atwood. She has long been one of my favorite authors, though I have not met her.
    Your aunt is fortunate to continue working past the presumed age of retirement.
    Two great examples of growing older.
    And, yes, you are right about ageism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret Atwood has such a varied collection of work;- something for everyone. I am looking forward to her new book.

      Delete
  3. I know and love your aunt Ruth, and she is the best example I know of living life to the fullest, no matter what age you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is special! I think I may have met you one the times I visited HT. I am sure our paths cross somehow around the city.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely tribute to age as a state of mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Every generation has something to offer to those younger and older than themselves." Yes!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.