Sunday, December 21, 2008
Most aspects of our Christmas celebration are based on traditions which have come through time from many cultures. The Bible does mention the birth of Christ in two of the gospels, but there is no evidence that the early church celebrated the nativity. They did celebrate the resurrection every week, an event far more meaningful to the Christian faith.
Jesus almost certainly was not born in December but the celebration of his birth was set centuries later by the church to give an alternate meaning to ancient pagan celebrations around the winter solstice. I enjoy many aspects of Christmas and believe any holiday that focuses on family, peace, goodwill, and the birth of a Saviour is worthwhile. But I will not get drawn into an irrelevant argument about whether to name a decorated tree a Holiday Tree or a Christmas Tree.
So here is the quiz on the facts of the nativity as described in the gospels. All answers are found in the Bible and you can look up the answers as you go along if necessary.
1. Joseph was from:
2. Mary and Joseph travelled to Bethlehem by
d) We don't know
3. The innkeeper told Mary and Joseph...
a) I have a stable you can use
b) There is no room at the inn
c) Both (a) and (b)
d) None of the above
4. Which animals were present at Jesus' birth?
a) Cows, sheep, goats
b) Cows, donkeys, sheep
c) Many barnyard animals
d) None are mentioned
5. Who saw the star in the east?
b) Mary and Joseph
c) The Wise Men
6. How many angels spoke to the shepherds?
c) A Multitude
7. What sign did the angels tell the shepherds to look for?
a) A star over Bethlehem
b) A baby that doesn't cry
c) A baby in a stable
d) A baby wrapped in swaddling clothes lying in a manger
8. What did the angels sing?
a) Joy to the World
c) Unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given
d) Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace, good will to men
9. How many wise men came to visit Jesus? ________
10. The wise men found Jesus in a
d) a good mood
11. The wise men stopped in Jerusalem
a) To inform Herod about Jesus
b) To find out where Jesus was
c) To buy presents for Jesus
12. Who told Mary and Joseph to go to Bethlehem?
a) The angel
b) Mary's mother
d) Caesar Augustus
13. Joseph took baby Jesus to Egypt
a) To show him the pyramids
b) To be put in a basket in the river
c) Because he dreamed of it
d) To be taxed
14. Where do we find the Christmas story to check the answers to these questions?
e) All of the above
f) Matthew and Luke
g) Mark and John
Answers: 1(c), 2(d), 3(d), 4(d), 5(c), 6(a), 7(d), 8(d), 9(we don't know), 10(c), 11(b), 12(d), 13(c), 14(f)