Tuesday, September 01, 2009

September

The golden-rod is yellow;
The corn is turning brown;
The trees in apple orchards
With fruit are bending down.
The gentian's bluest fringes
Are curling in the sun;
In dusty pods the milkweed
Its hidden silk has spun.

The sedges flaunt their harvest,
In every meadow nook;
And asters by the brook-side
Make asters in the brook,
From dewy lanes at morning
The grapes' sweet odors rise;
At noon the roads all flutter
With yellow butterflies.
By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer's best of weather,
And autumn's best of cheer.

But none of all this beauty
Which floods the earth and air
Is unto me the secret
Which makes September fair.T'is a thing which I remember;
To name it thrills me yet:
One day of one September
I never can forget.

Helen Hunt Jackson (1830-1885)

All photos taken along the Grand River today

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:15 pm GMT-4

    Love the poetry and the excellent pictures. The last picture brought wonderful memories of a late September day I shall never forget. Grandma Devins looked after all 5 of you and Dad and I drove to Haliburton with our red canoe and spent 2 days of glorious color exploring rivers and lakes in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that poem brings back memories! I memorized and recited it in my school when I was eleven or twelve years old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure are pretty picture. I real like September watching the leaves change color.
    I came over from Wendy blog.

    Hope you have a moment to stop by for cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great poem. I had to look up the poet because I knew her name was familiar. I read her novel Ramona many years ago and loved it.
    You chose beautiful September photos to illustrate the verses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely poem, and even lovelier images Ruth. :c) I am so enjoying the cooler mornings, and am looking forward to the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too enjoyed the poem. Autumn is one of my favorite seasons. I love the colours fall brings and the much cooler temps. The picture of the butterfly is beautiful. Did you take these down Doon trail? I was there that night too. It's such a beautiful trail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheryl...these were taken along the Zeller Rd trail yesterday. Even there, the mosquitoes were rather aggressive! I won't be doing the Doon trail til the giant ragweed is done flowering and the mosquitoes are dead. (There were piles of migrating warblers at Zeller Dr yesterday!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous photos. I'm noticing that "late summer" cast to nature now, and it's kind of sad to see it preparing for winter. I could take another month or two or three of summer!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.