Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Gone Fishin'

There are two types of fisherman - those who fish for sport and those who fish for fish.


If people concentrated on the really important things in life,
there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad. A.K. Best

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught
a
large fish goes home through an alley.

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work.

Fishing is boring, unless you catch an actual fish,
and then it is disgusting. ~Dave Barry
(This quote is for Becka!)

I have spent many, many hours in a fishing boat while my husband trolls around some big lake. He is a serious fisherman with boxes of tackle, a number of rods and a fish finder. I took all the pictures above along the banks of the Grand River, except for the one with my nephew and the big carp. The fisher sitting in the Canada chair is on the pier where the Grand River empties into Lake Erie. I loved watching the young boys with their makeshift fishing poles. We looked on in suspense as the two young men slid down the steep embankment to the river's edge. I have no idea how they got back to the roadway above.
Forget about the TV shows with the professional fishers in big boats. This is a feature about people who understand the real spirit of fishing! Do you enjoy fishing?

Pam at Nature Woman has posted a great fishing story here!

10 comments:

  1. then you have those who put the pole out without any hooks or bate on the end!! Our main purpose is looking like we are fishing so we can really spend our time looking for dragonflies/water birds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Ruth--this was such a funny post. I am not a fisher, nor is anyone I know. But all the quotes--I had co-workers who fished, and the quotes ring so so true.
    Thanks for the enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Dave Barry quote says it all :0D

    I've not been fishing in decades, but I'll bet it's very serene bobbing in that boat with your happy hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Dave Barry quote, too! I've been fishing a few times and found it to be relaxing. We caught lots of flounder once and had a feast! I don't clean them, though.

    My Dad took us fishing when we were children in the same way as you show in your last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fishing for the sport of it, for sure! If I happen to catch dinner for my non-vegetarian friends, that's a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blogs are the highlight of my internet exploring. It's amazing when thinking of my parents' love of nature, birds, flowers, trees etc and it hit me forcibly about the age it has hit you. Maybe because of an empty or emptying nest or just because we've learned to put busyness aside for a while and enjoy God's creation.
    Love your blogs and love you.
    Mexico Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ruth,
    This was a great post. I loved all the pictures and fishing quotes.
    We like to fish, but we're not good at it. Our best fishing adventure was 20 years ago when we went with a group to Witch Bay Lodge near Kenora. The owner's son took us out to a secluded lake in a leaky little boat and the water was so clear you could see all the fish swimming around. We caught a fish on every cast and we sure had a fun time with that young guy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Monarch- No wonder your kids weren't catching fish at the derby day!

    KGMom- Thanks. I had a good chuckle over the quotes, because of the truth in them.

    Cathy- Dave Barry makes me laugh. I do miss his column in the paper. I don't fish in the boat, but I enjoy being out on the water.

    Mary- I don't clean fish either. My husband like to do it and is meticulous in taking out the bones. Children don't need more than a stick to have a happy fishing experience.

    Pam- Love your story!

    Mom- Thanks for commenting;- glad you got the comment thing figured out. The girls and I always spent a lot of time outdoors on trails. I think that getting a digital camera and being able to capture what I see for later study has made learning more fun.

    RuthieJ- Kenora...that is the real Ontario northland. My husband would be there in a minute with your description of the fishing there. I bet the mosquitoes were impressive too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post reminded me of my fishing days while growing up as a kid. Those were such rich, adverturous days. Now I actively fly fish for trout and salmon,tie my own flies, wade rivers and streams -- trying to outsmart the fish. It is still a rich and adverturous pursuit -- and one that brings such enjoyment to life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cestoady- You comment describes someone who has passion for fishing. I think fly fishing and shore fishing makes for more interesting fishing than trolling a lake.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.