Friday, March 06, 2009

Friday Flowers: Tulips for Lungs

March 4, 2009 was The Lung Association’s Tulip Day in Ontario. To celebrate the imminent arrival of spring after a long winter, the association sells tulips to raise money and hope for improved lung health in Ontario. Volunteers sold bunches of tulips at the hospital and I had trouble choosing between yellow, white, red and these orange "grown in Ontario" blooms. They are just starting to open up and will give me a little taste of what will grow in my garden sometime next month.

I have worked with patients suffering from respiratory ailments for much of my career. I used to be involved with the Cystic Fibrosis Clinic at the hospital in the late 1970s when the life expectancy for children born with this disease was much shorter than it is now. Cystic Fibrosis is found in the Old Order Mennonite population in our region and in large families, several children may be affected by it. It is also commonly found in other demographic groups. My brother Philip used to help me with an evening Swim and Gym program for children with CF. They had lots of energy and loved the recreational opportunity.

I worked for over ten years in the Intensive Care Unit doing therapy with people suffering from respiratory failure and a host of other serious illnesses. The majority of lung diseases are secondary to smoking (as well as many other illnesses!) but patients with severe asthma, end-stage pulmonary fibrosis, and fast moving infections also end up in acute care. I am sure that everyone has known someone close to them who has suffered from lung disease. We are becoming more aware of the effects of air pollution on lung health and the anti-smoking message is being heard. Ontario does not allow smoking in any public venue including restaurants and workplaces. In the 1970s, students could smoke during university lectures, smoking was allowed in buses, planes, workplaces, malls, even in hospital wards. Wherever I went I came home smelling of cigarette smoke.

The rehabilitation hospital where I now work has a very successful outpatient Pulmonary Rehab program. Patients are referred from the community and attend education and exercise sessions a few times a week. Graduates of the program can return once a week to use the equipment and meet up with friends they have who also have lung disease. Some people can barely walk into the building as they tote their portable oxygen with them, but soon they are doing laps around the first floor or using the treadmills and other equipment available for strength and aerobic training.

Outpatient programs are being cut from hospital budgets at an alarming rate in Ontario. Because the people are not acutely ill and because they can sometimes access similar services for a fee in the community, hospital administrators balance their budgets by reducing these therapeutic clinics. A person with COPD could join a gym or attend a public pool, but it is more motivating for them to be in an environment with trained professionals and other people with similar conditions.

I bought the tulips in support of the efforts of the Ontario Lung Association and hope they will continue to promote positive change for the lung health of all of us.

Canadian Lung Association
American Lung Association

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful tulips and such a good cause which they are for.
    Blessings,Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said and a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those vibrant flowers. They remind me that spring is coming! Great way to raise money for the lung association too.

    I hope the house we buy has tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:51 pm GMT-5

    My native flower...and I would have chosen orange! Tulips are one of my favorite flowers. What a great story you have shared with us. You amaze me with all your knowledge. You teach me so much.

    I'm looking forward to seeing my own garden tulips in next little while, along with that first spring Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our societal outlook on smoking has changed so dramatically, I'm always shocked to see the younger generations smoking. Tobacco is one of many vices I am glad I did not succumb to. As for the flowers, the older I get, the more I enjoy their significance. They are the ultimate gift ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tulips--love them. Such sunny spring promising flowers--and I can't think of a better flower to associate with breathing freely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great idea, especially at this time of year when we are all awaiting the spring bulbs. They are lovely and for a good cause. What could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well this post certainly spoke to me! I can't say enough about the benefits of a pulmonary rehab program. Everybody with lung disease would gain some benefit from it.
    My hubby (with severe COPD) will still do his rehab exercises twice a day. He can only do 5 minutes on the treadmill, but at least he can still do this much. It gives his confidence a boost to still be able to do some exercise. Gives him a measure of control over his disease and he does realize that if not for the rehab exercises, he'd likely spend his days in a chair.

    Breathing exercises also add to his overall well-being both in mind and body.

    We don't have Tulips for Lung awareness here in Quebec. We should. I love orange tulips and usually choose orange over other colours.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:59 am GMT-5

    I love tulips because they remind mye of my family's and relatives'country. In Eur. they are behind in limiting the places where you can smoke. In Greece it was so bad, that at the end of the week' vacation I started coughing as soon as I came to a train station (from all the waiting people who were smoking). Thanks for all the info.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's good to see that the incidence of emphysema and COPD seems to be declining somewhat as smoking becomes less and less glamorized. Quality of life is more impacted with respiratory illness than anything else we see. Rehab programs offering peer support are SO important. Love the beautiful tulips for a great cause. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ruth,

    The tulips are beautiful. Thank you for supporting the Lung Association.

    I enjoyed hearing more about your work. I don't think many would be able to afford the therapy outside of the hospital and having professionals and others with the same condition on hand would be inpirational.

    Take care. I'm not going to see why you have a photo of Mr. Peanut in the post below.

    Have a great weekend and keep dry.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful flowers and thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everyone's comments are appreciated. I hope we see tulips in our gardens soon!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.