Friday, May 14, 2010

Birth Announcement!


I was in the yard after work when I noticed the Chickadees were removing eggs shells from the bird house. Both parents were flying out and returning quickly with little grubs in their beaks and I could hear the chirping sound of their young.


I thought both adults were out when I opened the back door carefully. The lovely soft nest held at least 5 newly hatched Chickadees and the female. They were looking expectantly toward the round hole where their next meal would be served.


One click of the camera, the little heads popped up and their mouths opened wide.


Mother was getting a little anxious when I took this last picture so I closed the door and left quickly. I replenished the bird feeder and watched as the adults fed the babies soft food and then came to the feeder for some black sunflower seeds. What a busy pair they are!

14 comments:

  1. Oh what a fantastic opportunity to see these new borns.This sort of thing thrills the heart.
    Blessings,Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww--as soon as I read your title, I zipped right over to read "WHO GOT BORN"!
    We have cardinals nesting in the arbor vitae right next to our enclosed patio. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just way too precious! A once in a life time opportunity and it happen in your backyard. A new family living in their new mansion. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great pictures. Our chickadees are SO secretive and won't nest in the box we put out a couple of years ago. There are so many old trees with holes in them around here that I guess they don't lack for housing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots Ruth. So nice to watch this little, well not so few, family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful photos Ruth! Those babies are adorable. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just beautiful. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Chickadees, and we have several in our yard, but haven't found their nest yet - they don't like the birdhouses unfortunately...
    great shots!
    (the word verification is fusight...very appropriate!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice pictures. You are obviously proud and deservedly so. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great having a backdoor. We have decorative birdhouses that we never expected to be used. They were once, so we stuff that hole now because I hate to think of the mess in there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great sight to see. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
    Do you have to assume the grandparent role now?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your comments. I will do my best to keep you posted on their development.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great name for this post, and fantastic photos of the new chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahh-terrific! I had a pair of chickadees checking out one of my nestboxes but they moved on.I only get wrens which is okay but chickadees would be nice.Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.