Friday, November 21, 2008

Friday Flowers: In Unlikely Places

The pictures for this post were all taken by my husband.
He did a great job!
Click images to enlarge.

At dawn this past Monday morning my husband and brothers went with a guide to the desert for a few hours of exploration. This was a different outing than The Becka and her cousins took the following day, the pictures of which are featured in the previous post. Their guide took them to the place he had lived as a child, in an adobe house seemingly situated in the middle of nowhere. Cattle were seen walking in an arid expanse of dust and rock. This area was once covered with water and the men found a large fossilized snail shell. Nearby cave walls were marked with ancient drawings of dwellings, people and animals.

Water must be near by to support life in this part of the desert. And sure enough, a muddy waterhole behind the house was surrounded by tamarind trees which provided shade from the sun.

The tamarind tree is native to Asia and was likely brought to Mexico in the 17th or 18th century by European settlers. The Mexicans prepare a drink from the boiled seeds but I prefer tamarind in a spicy, sweet sauce with samosas and other Indian foods.

Blooming cactus plants and grasses were found nearby as well. A number of butterflies sipped nectar from the small flowers. This small desert oasis has provided life for man, animals, plants and other creatures. Those of us who live where water is abundant can miss the real meaning of important metaphors about springs in the desert.


Alegrarse han el desierto y la soledad:
el yermo se gozará, y florecerá como la rosa
...

And the desert shall rejoice and blossom as the rose...

Isaiah 35:1

16 comments:

  1. Very lovely shots The area must be difficult to live in.Thanks for showing us this dry and dusty place.I was amazed at the flowers and the butterfly.
    Blessings,Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photographs and interesting post. I loved the blooming cactus. And a butterfly! I can feel the desert warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the butterfly,and the desert blooms.....it never ceases to amaze me how many things do flower in such arid conditions.....

    The photographs are great.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've just acquainted ourselves with tamarind this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruth,

    I had a little time to stop by and catch up. I am so sorry that you had to have surgery instead of going to Mexico. I wish you a speedy recovery.

    The photos of the desert are awesome. What beauty! Thank you so much for sharing. It sounds like your husband and daughter had a wonderful time.

    Thank you for the kind words and loving support as we see Aunt May through the next step of her journey. I value your friendship and support.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice photographs! and an interesting area. There's not enough trees from my taste but it does bring back memories of watching Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Westerns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Preciosa cita.
    Hermosas fotos :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ruth- It is hard to believe that anything could bloom here. I have only been here in the summer and it was much hotter.

    NCMW- I need to ID the flowers and butterfly but need a different guidebook.

    Cheryl- I thought my husband did an excellent job for a newbie to a digital camera.

    CS- Never too late to try something new, is it! ;-)

    Mary- My little problem is nothing compared to what your family is going through now. I expect to be back on my feet soon. thanks...

    Larry- The new James Bond movie set could be here too. I'm with you on the trees!

    Mel- Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's nice to see different pictures of Mexico. Usually they are always of resorts. What a dry, dusty lonely looking place. I don't think it would be my cup of tea. I do like the flowering catcus, but I'm with you and Larry...need the trees.

    Hope you are doing better and can get yourself out and about outside before more of this white stuff comes along.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That tamarind tree remonds me of someting we have here, though I doubt there's any connection, botanically--honey locust. Large seed pods, hanging curled like that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's amazing how such a arid climate will still provide so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmmmmm. Tamarind sauce with samosas! My mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's hard to imagine living in an area without water living near Lake Erie and all our creeks. I love the collage photo and I did click to enlarge...

    New Rambling Woods Site

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous7:22 pm GMT-5

    Cows in the middle of nowhere. Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  15. The butterflies on the cactus are so beautiful and appealing. What an interesting trip this must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cheryl D- I hope to get out and about soon. You won't find these pictures at your local travel agency!

    Nina- They do look much like honey locust, both fruit and leaf.

    Jayne- Nothing goes to waste, as far as moisture is concerned.

    Ginger- My feelings exactly!

    RW- We both enjoy an abundance of fresh water near the Great Lakes. Fortunate indeed!

    SG- All depends on the direction of the picture. Behind was the water hole.

    Ann- I was here 2 years ago and found the area very interesting too.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.