Friday, March 06, 2015

Spring Sun


Extreme cold overnight temperatures broke records yet again in this bitter, thaw-less winter. It is our third harsh winter in a row as we enter the second week of March when Red-winged Blackbirds and Robins generally return. The sun is stronger and stays longer each day and nature responds in preparation for spring in spite of cold winds and deep, ice-crusted snow.


Many birds have paired up and are bold and conspicuous against the snow and leafless branches. They are eager for food in the cold and followed me as I left handfuls of seed on the trail.


American Tree Sparrows will be around for a few more weeks before heading north again. Juncos were scarce this winter and I saw only one today. A single Song Sparrow sat quietly in the bush and I suspect it is not a returning migrant but a bird who over-wintered here.


Male Cardinals now sing loudly from the treetops early in the morning as nesting season gets underway. This lovely fluffed up female kept a discreet distance but watched where the sunflower seeds were dropped.


Several Cardinals sat facing the sun as I passed by and a Downy Woodpecker was so eager to get suet from the cage that it did not fly away when I was only a metre away.


I am so ready for spring and will enjoy the longer evenings that come with the time change this weekend. I feel like a solar battery that has lost its charge and look forward to more light and the energy it brings.

5 comments:

  1. I too am ready for spring. Oh how I love he Cardinals,but that is a bird that is quite uncommon in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even here in the SW without snow I am SO ready for spring. Lovely bird shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a well-written and heart-felt post. It has been a long harsh winter!

    I love your bird shots and always learn something from you. I too did not see many juncos this winter and wondered why.

    Your cardinals are striking. Is that female sporting a lovely yellow tummy? I always thought they were a rather dull brown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think all of us who are residents of Northeastern America are ready for spring--U.S. and Canada both.
    Love the birds--great photos. And you are a very observant person. Thanks for this bit of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments. @Wendy- that female Cardinal was striking but the low afternoon sun was on her and warmed her colour.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.