Thursday, May 08, 2008

Evening Glow


Softly the evening came. The sun from the western horizon
Like a magician extended his golden want o'er the landscape;
Trinkling vapors arose; and sky and water and forest
Seemed all on fire at the touch, and melted and mingled together.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

There is no light more beautiful than evening light in my estimation. Sunrises are lovely but lack the deep warmth of the setting sun.

We have many local walking and biking trails and when the girls were young, we used to ride our bikes after supper to a certain pond to see "the ducks and geese". These familiar trails with the most common wildlife and vegetation are still enjoyable and peaceful to follow at sunset.


Evening reflections and shadows are dramatic on the water. Birds finish feeding and bathing and prepare to roost as frogs and toads start their chorus. Light is a photographer's inspiration and best friend. Our evenings will continue to lengthen into the summer solstice and their magical gold will be savoured as we forget the short, grey days of winter past.

11 comments:

  1. I saw a hawk in my neighborhood in yesterday's 'evening glow.' My first thought was "I've got to tell Ruth!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That gold color is magic in the lens, isn't it? Beautiful shots Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:30 am GMT-4

    I'm with you on this, the evening glow when the sun is setting and turning everything gold is magical. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! One of my photographer friends calls it "sweet light."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful color you've captured in those photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice reminder to catch sunset tonight! Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruth--true true "Light is a photographer's inspiration and best friend."
    I think of evening light as chardonnay light--just that right touch of golden. And I too love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FMDoc- LOL! Well you did tell me. I always enjoy seeing hawks. They are rarely in my city neighbourhood except in the winter when they eye the birds at my feeders.

    Jayne- Yes it is. You use light well in your photos.

    Laura- I can hardly bear to be indoors in a clear evening. The colours are rich and ever changing.

    Ginger- I like that..."sweet light"

    Lynne- Yes, even the ordinary geese and Mallards have a rich look about them.

    Jean- Summer sunsets are beautiful, even more so when there are a few clouds.

    KGMom-...a perfect description.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Longfellow quote is perfect! What a nice post! I, too, love the evening light.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! The quote compliments your pictures perfectly =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ruth,

    The boys and I spotted a raven the other day. That is the first one I've seen in a couple of years.

    Love your photos of the pond, ducks and the killdeer. We have one in our area. I heard it calling the other night.

    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.