Friday, May 30, 2008

Friday Flowers: Wild and White

Chokecherry bush along the Grand River

May has rushed by very quickly and each day has presented something new to admire in the spring lineup. I have taken many pictures on my walks of birds and trees and rivers and flowers. The domestic fruit trees have almost finished flowering but the wild shrubs and bushes along the river are just coming to their peak of bloom. These pictures were taken along one of my favourite trails at the confluence of the Speed and Grand Rivers.

Chokecherry Blossoms

Flowering shrubs protect many small birds and will provide important fruit later in the season. The river along with the many fruit-bearing shrubs on its banks make this a great area for birding. I like Chokecherry blossoms with their elegant white spikes of flowers.

Dogwood in bloom

Dogwood is beautiful in all seasons, even in the winter when the red stems stand out against the snow. I would like to plant Dogwood in my yard, but our soil is far to dry and sandy.

Hawthorn Blossoms

The thorns on the Hawthorn bushes are impressively long and sharp. I often see small sparrows, warblers and kinglets hidden among the protective spikes.


I had posted a picture of this tight purple bud last month. I have looked at many guides and internet pages and tried unsuccessfully and identify this shrub.


This is what it looks like now as it grows on the edges of the woods. Does anyone recognize it?

Wildflower identification can be a challenge. These flowers look like Field Chickweed, but the leaves do not match the description given. They are very pretty nevertheless.

We are taking our first week of "summer" vacation starting this weekend and I will be taking a break from blogging. I will look forward to catching up with my blog roll later!

16 comments:

  1. Enjoy your vacation, I will miss sharing your walks along the river.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flowers Ruth. Enjoy your week of vacation and take lots of photos! :c)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:20 am GMT-4

    Blossoms are so gorgeous this time of year. My favorites are lilacs and apple blossoms. On my many dog walks, I stop and smell each tree, I just love the fragrance. I wish that they lasted longer then they do. I will ask about the mystery shrub, my Dad may know, as he is avid gardener.

    Enjoy your vacation!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful wildflowers. Have a wonderful vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chokecherry--I've seen those flowering plants around here and didn't know what they were but now I do! Thanks Ruth and I hope you have a great vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dogwood...a lovely plant, but I'm crazy allergic to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. May has really zipped by! This is a very pretty post of all the shrubs - the flowers are lovely and everything looks so lush. Hope you will have a great vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a safe and happy holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, enjoy your vacation whatever you do, where ever you go. We'll be looking foward to some pictures and an accounting! Have fun on your break.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:52 pm GMT-4

    Have a nice vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely flowers, they made me think of brides, for some reason!
    Hope you have a lovely holiday

    ReplyDelete
  12. I take it that fishing is part of the vacation for your other half? Have a good week off, Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you find out what the mystery flower is, let us know. A nice walk along the river today. Your forested green land is so lush compared to my dry desert, but both are beautiful! Have a nice vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ruth,

    I hope you have a wonderful vacation. Don't forget to take lots of photos.

    I enjoyed all of the photos and should know what the white one is, but can't think of the name of it.

    Take care and be safe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous9:13 pm GMT-4

    Newcomb's says of Red-berried Elder, "Creamy-white or yellowish flowers in a cluster longer than wide. Leaflets 5-7, lance- or egg-shaped, toothed. Fruit red, acid. Rocky woods. Spring and early summer."

    Possible?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am back now and appreciate all your comments. Mary C...the fishing trip is next month. My husband did not go to NYC.
    Jennifer...thanks for the shrub ID. Elderberry pie is very popular among the Mennonites here and maybe this is where the berries come from.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.