Wednesday, May 07, 2008

New Spring Arrivals

Palm Warbler

Spring's procession continues with new birds arriving almost daily. I have mentioned our local birding forum several times and it continues to be an excellent source of information about new arrivals. Today I read that a group of warblers were in a small bush five minutes from our home. I went there at lunch time and was not disappointed. Usually I have trouble finding warblers but these ones literally landed right in front of me. They moved about very quickly around the swamp but were not hard to identify.

Yellow-rumped Warbler

I stood for twenty minutes in one area and saw several Palm Warblers, Yellow-rumped Warblers, two Solitary Sandpipers, a Belted Kingfisher, one Sora, a Spotted Sandpiper, a Great Blue Heron, a Caspian Tern and the usual collection of ducks, geese and songbirds. I am surprised I made it to work on time!

White-crowned Sparrow

We had a new visitor under the lilac bush where I place a small water dish and scatter seed on the ground. This White-crowned Sparrow joined the White-throated Sparrows that have been around for the past couple of weeks. According to our local bird watchers, these birds have arrived since Saturday.

Hermit Thrush (left upper and lower) Cowbird and Catbird

Other recent sightings include a Catbird, a group of Hermit Thrushes, and of course the Brown-headed Cowbirds. I found a new trail along the Grand River that goes through woodland, swamp, meadows, cedar stands and the river itself. I must say our city planners have done a wonderful job of preserving natural areas within the city limits that are fully accessible to the public. My local bird count for this year is almost up to my total for the entire year of 2007.

Networking is great. I am grateful to the many enthusiastic bloggers and bird forum members who share their observations and knowledge with others.

16 comments:

  1. You captured some really great photos of the warblers.They can be really tough to get photos of and you did a great job. Glad to see you are into the heart of the birding action!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy the local postings, too, Ruth. I find them to be very helpful and I learn what to expect or what to look for.

    You are loaded with newcomers - perhaps your white-throated sparrows came from here? They've been gone for a while.

    You are busy with the birds and have terrific photos to offer!

    No warblers at my house :o/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth--what a great collection of bird sightings--and the photos to go along.
    I love the white-crowned sparrow--handsome little fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, Ruth, you have me thinking about listing all the birds around our area. I have a bird Bible so best get it out as I'm not all that knowledgeable about birding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I may have been late to work Ruth! Wow, what a great variety of birds to see in one place. I've seen no warblers here either Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Ruth, all those cool birds on your lunch break?? That's great! I'm glad you got a chance to get out and see them and share them with us. It's such a great time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruth,

    I enjoyed your photos, as always. I need to find a good trail in my area where I can go out and get some good shots of the birds.

    Different species of birds haven't been plentiful in our area so far this year, or not that I've seen. When the boys and I went to the farm yesterday, we saw a raven. The boys had never seen one before, so that was neat. It was beautiful.

    Take care, Ruth and thanks so much for the comment on my poem.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep posting those pics. You have a great hobby there -- which mixes well with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos today! congralations on all your spring visitors.

    Carolyn H.
    http://roundtoprumings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos! I love this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:35 pm GMT-4

    All of those birds on your lunch! That is pretty spectacular

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous4:09 pm GMT-4

    WOW that's grand!! Beautiful sightings. I love the warblers. It's such a busy and wonderful time of the year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Many people spend all day birding without seeing (and photographing yet) such lovely birds. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Larry- Thanks. I may never have warblers all around again like that. It was a great moment.

    Mary- I imagine the sparrows have come from your way, and they will continue north. It is great to see these migrants even for a short time.

    KGMom- Yes, that sparrow is very distinguished looking. I have been fortunate with the camera, but the leaves still are small and that helps.

    Jean- You should keep a bird list. It is amazing how fast they add up.

    Jayne- I find that noon is a good time for birding. But I always have a 1:00 patient booked so cannot linger.

    Ruthie- I am hoping to see some more migrating birds. You have had some to your yard that I have not yet seen.

    Mary- I often see few birds when I am walking about. But I stood still this time and the birds surrounded me.

    AC-Thanks...birding and blogging... great hobbies for sure but I need to keep my day job too for now.

    Carolyn- Thanks. I was thrilled to have a close opportunity. My previous warbler pictures have been very fuzzy indeed.

    Melissa- And I enjoy your photos of the changing seasons too!

    SG- I try to never work through lunch. I might miss something really special.

    April- Warblers are so small and active. It is a treat to see them. I have many more to find.

    NCMW- I have been out many times without seeing anything new too. This will likely be one of the best days of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous8:39 am GMT-4

    Great photos, especially the warblers that never seem to sit still for a moment and are difficult to photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Laura- The only birds harder to catch are Swallows on the wing and Kinglets.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.