Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Children of the World

I gave a presentation about Mexico to a group of children at a summer day camp today. The children were between 5 and 12 years old.

When do we first realize how big the world is and that cultures other than our own exist in other places?

In my husband’s 1969 high school year book, it is startling to see that nearly everyone is white and of European descent. There was very little racial diversity in this part of southern Ontario at the time.

Now, the world has come to us.

Our daughters’ high school had scores of flags hanging in the cafeteria, each representing the country of origin of various students in the school. Their year books show a kaleidoscope of colours and cultures.

The older people in this community often have deep-rooted racial prejudices, but more tolerant, inclusive generations are following them.

The children in Mexico, some of whom are my nieces and nephews, are beautiful citizens of the world, no different than the children I talked to in Canada today.

See that you do not look down on one these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven. Matthew 18:10
…whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. Matthew 18:5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.