Thursday, March 27, 2008

Country Drive

Falling snow through my icy window on March 25th

We are still receiving doses of bad weather a couple of times a week...Texas lows, Colorado lows, Alberta clippers. Call them what you want, most people are tired of the mix of snow, wind, freezing rain and ice they bring. One of my patients told me yesterday she took her new walker outdoors for the first time. The sun was shining, but the snow from the previous day had left the pavement treacherously icy. Many people are unable to get out much at all and will be housebound until the snow melts and the temperatures rise. We have had more sunny days in the mix though and a car ride is a warm way to enjoy a preview of spring.


The country roads north of the city are lightly travelled and generally free of the high snowbanks we have in town. The shoulders are soft, but the Mennonite buggies travel through the mud.


The little black lamb followed its mother through the snow. Colts and calves are appearing outdoors during the day near the barns and in protected fields.


I never identified a Horned Lark until this year. That was mainly because I didn't know where to look for them. Every country road that has some gravel and runs by a cornfield has many of these cheerful birds in the ditches and fields. Their song is bright and cheerful.


This bird serenaded the sun and perhaps its mate from a fence post.


The Old Order Mennonites are setting up roadside stands for selling fresh maple syrup. These two young women parked near an intersection and settled themselves comfortably in the snow for the day. I cropped this picture closely to see what they were reading.

Janette Oke...

I have a German Colony OOM patient at the hospital who only reads German even though she speaks English fluently. So I was a little surprised to see these ladies reading English romance novels.

I haven't noticed that spring smell in the air yet as the wet ground is exposed to the wind. We still need a slow thaw to prevent flooding. Next weekend is the famous Elmira Maple Syrup Festival and we all hope that the sun will shine warmly for that big day.

7 comments:

  1. Even your icy vistas out your window make me want to move to Ontario. I suppose there are birds (other than robins, sparrows, and crows) here, I just need to increase my awareness. That horned lark looks as cheerful as he sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all of those systems coming and going quite quickly is a rather good sign. But I know that we all want more after this beast of a winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ruth,
    Looks like everyone isn't adapting to the snow very well, except the birds.
    Goodbye,
    Birdman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:35 pm GMT-4

    Snow, shouldn't be happening this time of the year! Loved your Horned Lark photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruth,

    It's been a long winter for you and I admire your adventurous spirit! You are not letting it keep you inside. Your bird photos are getting more beautiful as time goes on - and I'd love to see a lark.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the pictures from your drive. We had maine maple syrup sunday last weekend,but it was too early and most farms didn't have much to showcase. Your lark picture was cute as can be, he looks like he's carefully navigating the snowy fields.

    ReplyDelete
  7. FM Doc- Hmmm...There are lots of good reasons to live in Ontario, but the weather isn't a strong one. Hope you start to see the less common birds that are undoubtedly hiding from you.

    AC- I like your positive spin on the storms. Today...Friday morning ...another dump of snow!

    Birdman- Yes, I should have an attitude like the birds. I don't have to sleep outside.

    Monarch- Come nest week, it had better change to April rain showers.

    Mary- Thanks. I don't get the awesome pictures you do. It seems the birds come right to you and then perform! The larks are arriving from somewhere south, but they are not really feeder birds.

    Beth- It has been a little too cold for good sap runs so far, even though we have had a few sunny days recently. I think the peak may be in the next couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.