Sunday, March 30, 2008

Exceptional March Sightings


March is almost over and while it behaved like a lion most of the month, it is likely to exit rather meekly. (but not exactly lamb-like) In spite of the continued winter weather, I saw many new things and marveled at the returning birds and the spring sky. About ten days ago we viewed the full moon of the vernal equinox. Easter was exceptionally early because this moon appeared on the day of the equinox. I took the picture above through the silhouetted swelling buds of our lilac bush on a cold and windy night.


It looks as if the Bald Eagles have returned north after wintering in our region. On Easter Sunday evening, my husband and I were fortunate enough to approach this mature eagle as it sat in a perch above the river just behind a local hospital. The area is built up with plenty of pedestrian and vehicular traffic, but the eagle was not intimidated by those watching it.

"What are you looking at?"

Other interesting sightings included the Heron rookery, Horned Larks, Pileated and Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Sandhill Cranes, hand feeding Chickadees and Nuthatches, and seeing some new water fowl on Lake Ontario.

The saga of the Cedar Waxwings continues. Samuel went birding with us yesterday and we stopped at the hospital to fill the feeders and check for any more dead birds. We found a large mixed flock of Cedar and Bohemian Waxwings in the crabapple trees. One bird was "under the influence" and Samuel posted a short video clip of it on his blog. His account of our day is very enthusiastic and detailed. It is a real pleasure to walk the trails with him.

Bohemian Waxwings (taken by Samuel)

I am looking forward to April. Our four foot snow banks should melt and some ponds should open in the warmer temperatures that are forecasted. It will be much easier to walk around and observe what is new.

11 comments:

  1. Oh the beautiful Eagles! I am so jealous Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the eagle pic with his chest sticking out. Now, let's get this snow melted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Samuel's blog ... so neat to hear the enthusiasm in his writings ... of his visit and nature walk with you. It's great that you take him out and about on these adventures!

    You've had some neat sightings this year! I can't wait to get home to see what I've been missing out on.

    TTFN ... Cis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photo of the moon is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Ruth,
    I would love to see a Bald Eagle and/or a Pileated Woodpecker. But I still had a great time with you. I always have a great time birding with you :-)
    Goodbye,
    Birdman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Samuel's video is pretty amazing. And I love the eagle with attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! And the moon behind the lilac buds! Lovely . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved his Bohemian photos and he's doing such a great job with his photos! You are a good insperations to him and glad he is sharing these with us! Also, lets hope April is like a lamb!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those bloggers south of us make me jealous with their photos of trillium or blood root. I'm ready for that and impatient for my snow to melt... I'm afraid you may have to wait even a tad longer... Oh well, at least we have each others' blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jayne- I am jealous of your Bluebirds and Purple Finches and on and on...!

    Melissa- The picture turned out a little blurry, but I loved the attitude too.

    CS- It is great fun seeing things with a child. And he is doing a fine job of blogging.

    Jean- Thanks. This is what crazy women do in their PJs at midnight outdoors on the deck in the freezing cold wind...

    Birdman- We will find those birds, even if it takes until next year.

    Cathy- Thanks. Sam's capture is something most people will never see. Intoxicated birds...so sad.

    Monarch- You are a great encouragement to Sam. Thanks!

    Jennifer- I had to check if another Jennifer had left that comment. Winterwoman is sick of winter??!!!
    I never thought it could happen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ruth,

    The bald eagle photos are awesome.

    We were in the country today and saw that the ditches and streams are flooded. I forgot my camera and that perturbed me. I could have got some good shots.

    Some of the ponds and streams are still frozen over, but mainly they are open. I'm hoping for some warmer weather. It is windy and cold here tonight and the sky was overcast late this afternoon. It actually looked like it was going to snow, but so far, so good.

    Enjoyed my visit, as always. Take care. I'm glad you enjoyed my post on the sugar bush. We went to Westfield Heritage Village. Every year they have the maple sugar festival.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.