Sunday, March 09, 2008

What a Storm!


I am taking a very brief hiatus from my blogging break to post a few pictures of the weekend snow storm. We received 40 cm of snow yesterday, on top of the 20 cm received last Wednesday, (that is two feet right there) on top of the snow that had accumulated from a February that produced 100% more snow than average. Canada is often called the Great White North, but this is over the top! We do not live in a major snow belt area near the Great Lakes.

This is officially the snowiest winter in the local record books and yesterday's snowfall was the largest single snowfall recorded. Thankfully we have a snowblower. My husband is 6'2" to give some perspective on the size of the snowbanks shown around our house.


He spent two hours early this morning blowing our snow and the snow for two neighbours. The street has not been plowed yet and that will create another snow mountain to remove from the end of the driveway. Life is going on pretty much as normal for those who can get around. Much as I want spring, Ontario ski hills will have a fantastic March break. This snow will have to go down slowly or we will have major flooding problems.

Giant snowdrift at the end of our driveway last night

20 comments:

  1. Looks an awful lot like home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Ruth, those pictures are amazing. Wish we could give you a bit of our 50-degree weather from here. It's cloudy, but pleasant. Glad to hear you have a snowblower...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Ruth. Gulp. The sight of that is plumb scary to me. I can't imagine digging out from that much snow. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, ick, you got more than I did, which was about 18". But it's heavy, icy snow which makes it tough to move around by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AC- Yes, we are much like you, but not quite as bad!

    Ginger- Fifty degrees sounds heavenly, clouds and all.

    Jayne- Our cities manage snow removal quite well, even with this much snow. I prefer snow storms to ice storms, even though this was a little too much!

    Pam- I didn't lift even one shovelful of this by hand. Heavy, icy snow is awful and really difficult to throw. I hope your back and shoulders are OK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:47 pm GMT-4

    Wow, you guys got it much worse than we got it! I love the images you captured of the moments and the first one with the snow-blower is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Randomness...Dad looks like the Grim Reaper dressed like that. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...more so in the second pic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Ruth, let's hope this is it for the season! Wow! Enough already! Let's hope it disappears slowly enough that you don't have any flooding - that would be adding insult to injury.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I withdraw my complaints about 17"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my--strangely, PA is way below in snow. Half the normal amount. So I envy all the snow you all have had. You don't want to hear that at all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow-that is some serious snow! My mom used to tell me about all the snow they had in Buffalo New York when she was a kid-I wonder if it looked anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you're staying warm! Do you have a fireplace?

    ReplyDelete
  14. And I had visions of you basking on a beach in Mexico during your break!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was kinda thinking what Becka said up there, Tim definitely has that grim reaper look about him out there in the snow...

    And WOW that is a lot of snow! I think Spokane would be lost if we had that much here...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous3:51 pm GMT-4

    Yep, Buffalo got hit hard on Friday/Saturday as well. And I thought we were close to spring!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh Ruth, that's way too much snow. I sure hope it doesn't all melt at the same time! Hopefully some of your drought will be alleviated once spring finally arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ruth, I thought you were still on March break! By now, I hope there has been some melting... I know storms like that can really cramp your style.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ruth,

    We did get a lot of snow, didn't we. I posted photos on my blog as well. The snowbank at the end of my daughter's driveway was as high as their van. It still is almost that high after thawing temperatures the last few days.

    Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend. I enjoyed seeing your snow photos.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. A week later...and the snow is still here! In fact we had 3-4 more cm this week plus a little melting in the "spring" sun.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.