Monday, September 18, 2006

Chocolate Trade OffEvery day I stand here on the first floor of the hospital and make the decision whether to take the elevator or the stairs to my 4th floor office. I do not participate in organized sports or belong to a gym so my fitness regime is something I fit into my day. I take the stairs, walk during lunch hour, take the dog out in the evening, and do exercise videos at home. My patients are my inspiration as so many of them are suffering from lifestyle related illnesses. I am constantly reminded of how inactivity, poor eating habits, smoking, and stress can impair the body’s ability to perform the way it should.

My other motivation for taking the stairs is that it allows me to have a guilt free treat, usually something chocolaty. I found this Robin Hood recipe recently in our local newspaper and the chocolate and ginger combination is a winner. I modified it slightly with the changes in parentheses.

GINGER CHIP MUFFINS
1 egg
300 ml (1 1/4 cups) regular evaporated milk (plain soy milk)
75 ml (1/3 cup) vegetable or canola oil
75 ml (1/3 cup) liquid honey (maple syrup)
15 ml (1 tablespoon) grated orange zest (omitted)
625 ml (2 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour (half whole wheat)
15 ml (1 tablespoon) baking powder
2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) salt
5 ml (1 teaspoon) ground ginger (didn't have any)
375 ml (1 1/2 cups) chocolate chips (dark chocolate)
50 ml (1/4 cup) chopped crystallized ginger
Topping (did not do topping, but it would be good)
50 ml (1/4 cup) finely chopped crystallized ginger
45 ml (3 tablespoons) granulated sugar
Preheat oven to 180 C (375 F). Grease a 12-cup muffin pan or line with paper liners.
In a large bowl, beat together egg, evaporated milk, oil, honey and zest.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and ground ginger. Add to liquid ingredients, stirring just to moisten. Stir in chips and 50 ml (one-quarter cup) chopped ginger. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
For topping: Combine ginger and sugar. Sprinkle over top of muffins.
Bake in centre of preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Makes 12 large muffins.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:57 pm GMT-4

    Working in a parking garage I could take the elevator to the floor I need to but I always take the stairs - mostly for exerice but partly because, well I haven't gone in it since someone got stuck in it after lightening hit the top of the garage.

    Still walking lets me have my muffins relatively guilt free. - When you say half whole wheat do you mean half the amount given or half wheat and then the other half all purpose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't mention that the elevator in the hospital breaks down frequently...more motivation to take the stairs. I use 1 1/4 cups of whole wheat and 1 1/4 cups of white flour in the recipe. I do this with most of my baking, including my pie crusts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those muffins were good.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.