Sunday, October 14, 2007

New Every Morning

Because of the Lord's great love
we are not consumed,

for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.

I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion;

therefore I will wait for him.”
The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him,

to the one who seeks him;
it is good to wait quietly
for the salvation of the Lord.

For men are not cast off
by the Lord forever.
Though he brings grief, he will show compassion,

so great is his unfailing love.
For he does not willingly bring affliction

or grief to the children of men.

Let us examine our ways and test them,

and let us return to the Lord.

from Lamentations 3

Little Meghan is wearing one of two identical dresses her grandmother, a good friend of mine, made for our twin girls when they were babies. The fine needlework was a labour of love and while I could have kept the dress in a trunk, I wanted to give it to Meghan when she was born. Meghan's mother, whom I have known since she was a preschooler, gave me these pictures today and expressed her thanks to me for passing along the dress and bonnet for her baby.

I had been thinking about the verses above from the book of Lamentations earlier this morning and was reflecting on how God gives us an opportunity for a fresh start each and every day. Many people live in the past, dwelling on old mistakes and offences. They can see no potential for good in the future and their negative and pessimistic views pull others down. I am very interested in history and love things that have a good story behind them. But I must find a way to take the past and its lessons and make them fresh and new before I pass them on to others.

Meghan is wearing a bit of history, but her new little life is one way God shows us his interest and pleasure in the present and future.

For the Lord is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations.
Psalm 100:5

6 comments:

  1. Meghan looks like a flower. You're a kind and generous soul, Ruth. Thanks for the nice message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth - thank you so much for stopping by my blog. The words you've posted today, ring so true for my mother and her family.

    Mary expressed it: you have a kind and generous soul. Meghan is a little daisy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW adorable Ruth! What a sweet gesture and what a nice reward to see her looking so precious in your gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth--such a cute little girl and dress! I appreciated the verses as well. They reminded me of one of my favorite hymns, Great is Thy Faithfulness. Morning by morning...

    Thanks for your words today (and thanks for stopping by my blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your comments. Meghan is an adorable little girl with a sweet disposition. I have hope that the world will be a good place for her as she gets older. Rondi...Great is Thy Faithfulness is one of my favourite hymns too and the poet used these verses for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.