Friday, October 22, 2010

Chilly Mornings


It takes me about 13 minutes to get to work if the traffic on the expressway is moving well. I do not like to be early or late and aim to get to my floor right on time. When the weather is good, I allow myself 15 minutes and hope there are few red lights and no accidents.

Today I left the house on my usual tight schedule only to discover that the car windows were ice covered. Fortunately it was thin enough to come off with a couple of doses of windshield washer fluid and the defroster on high. But my travel time will now increase for the late fall and winter season. My sister-in-law posted pictures of their snow covered lawn in Barrie, Ontario today.

The highlight of my morning was wearing my new half mittens knitted by Minnesota blogger Ruthie J. Yes, she does ship to Canada. I ordered a pair for each of our daughters and myself and we love them. (My eldest daughter calls them "mis" just as she calls my short shawl sweater a "swea".) When the weather gets colder, we have thin gloves to wear under them.

Ruthie has an Etsy store and lots of lovely hand knitted things for sale. I have already put in a second order for Christmas gifts. Here is her Etsy link and the link to her blog Nature Knitter.

8 comments:

  1. You look glovely, m'dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new colorful "mis". Yet would rather not be somewhere I needed them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am one of the weird people who can't wait for winter weather. Of course, now that I am retired, no more morning commute.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was surprised also to find frost on the windows. I didn't have the ice scraper in the car so I pulled out a plastic card and that did the trick.

    I love those mittens and I'm on my way to check out her link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruthie is one talented knitter for sure. We're a good way from ice filled mornings here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In Canada, the 4 seasons are such a part of our collective psyche, that we all experience the same things and have similar reactions to them...like the first heavy frost..that made me wash all the mitts and scarves, and get out the boots...and the ice scrapers. Sigh. It's THAT time of year again isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The "Mis" look nice and warm, and pretty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice mitts. Cold weather comes so quickly. Seems like only last month it was summer!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.