Sunday, October 03, 2010

October Joy


A stunted Red Maple grows on our front boulevard but its leaves have always turned to orange and red in time for the birthday of our twin daughters. Today is their birthday and while neither of them could come home to celebrate, the colours on our faithful tree reminded me of the joy of their early but healthy arrival.

Most of the week has been cloudy and wet but the bright colours of harvested vegetables brightened a cool, damp market day. As children, we spent every weekend of September and October picking apples at my uncle's orchard. The fruit from the trees was graded and sold and we collected grounders to take home. I know it is October when I bite into a hard, crisp Cortland apple and smell applesauce simmering on the stove. October is baked squash and pumpkin pie, sweet carrots and fresh cabbages, local grapes and green pears.


Autumn is a lovely gem nestled between the tiring heat of summer and the bitter cold of winter. As a season it is well defined unlike the often fickle days of spring. We will celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving next weekend. It is my favourite celebration of the year with few obligations and plenty of time to enjoy the beauty and bounty of nature and harvest.

I love Fall's morning mists, low rays of afternoon sun, warm socks and hoodies, milkweed pods, wild asters, big clouds, golden fields, crisp leaves underfoot, clear, cold nights and a hot cup of tea.

Happy October!

13 comments:

  1. Okay, I wasn't in the mood for autumn until reading this post. Yay! That photo of the tea (plus the bright leaves against the blue, blue sky) did it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to add the tea picture. I bought some amazing green tea at a shop in Chinatown, Toronto. The dried leaves open up into what looks like a fresh tea plant. So tasty! I am in the mood for autumn by mid-August.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful tribute to fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fall is very bright and colorful your way. Although the aspen turn gold we get very little of the maple reds. And this afternoon it was gray all over. Enjoy the tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes...autumn is my favorite season too. The crisp weather with the red, orange and brown tones of colour is inviting. I have tasted the new apples, pears, cabbage and squash so far...but I'm sure it won't be long before I bite into something pumpkin. Happy October to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fall is a beautiful season.By now we have mostly bare branches,but the crunch of the fallen leaves is still nice.
    Blessings,Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your pictures! Out west here, we are still having warm weather and the trees are just beginning to fall.

    Autumn is my favorite season for the reasons you mentioned. It's a season where you can just enjoy the beauty and most times the tranquil weather.

    I have twin daughters too, who celebrated their birthday 2 weeks ago!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honey Crisp have become my fave apples, but they're only available for a short time -- at high cost.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to your girls! Love seeing all the bright pumpkins and gourds! I love this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. when do you harvest the maple syrup?

    What a lot of pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful fall leaves and a rich harvest show a lot to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You captured some nice Fall images-It's my favorite time of year.Think I'll make a pumpkin pie this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.