Saturday, April 30, 2011

Horse Auction



In my North American travels I have yet to find farmers' markets as big and interesting as the ones in our region. Our local markets are open year-round and have become more multi-cultural over the years. But Mennonite culture is still predominate at this particular location. On the last Saturday of each month a horse auction is held at the largest market near St. Jacobs, Ontario. It is a big event for the Old Order Mennonites as they gather to buy and sell their primary mode of transportation and farm labour. I put the video together with still pictures and video taken today, a day which turned out to be one of the nicest of this soggy, cold month. 


7 comments:

  1. Minnonites are always so interesting to watch. Although they have accepted some of our ways, they still hold many pioneer day traditions. I didn't realize that they had a horse action on the last Saturday of the month. Good to know as I enjoy watching auctions. It was splendid day to be out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mexico Mom12:36 pm GMT-4

    What wonderful memories this brought back. I guess I still have a soft spot for horses after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job with the slide show and video, Ruth. IT really brings the event to life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your posts are so interesting - thank you so much! I hope to visit the Waterloo region over the summer, so the "insider" tips will be very helpful! Yours truly, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a unique area for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Janie ... nice job on bringing the event to life ... especially to me way over here where we don't see quite the likes of that horse auction (yes there are horse auctions but not with the old Mennonites.

    I tried to comment from my iPod the other morning but it went zoom into outerspace. Almost forgot to come back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments. I had fun making the video.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.