Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Autumn Equinox


The full harvest moon rose as the sun set on the eve of the autumn equinox. We climbed to the top of a nearby hill and five stitched photos taken on a 180 degree arc show the sun to the west and the moon to the east at about 7 PM. And when it was darker, Jupiter shone bright and clear below the moon.

Equal day and night...a pivotal point as we move toward the darkness of winter solstice.

UNDER THE HARVEST MOON

Under the harvest moon,
When the soft silver
Drips shimmering
Over the garden nights,
Death, the gray mocker,
Comes and whispers to you
As a beautiful friend
Who remembers.

Under the summer roses
When the flagrant crimson
Lurks in the dusk
Of the wild red leaves,
Love, with little hands,
Comes and touches you
With a thousand memories,
And asks you
Beautiful, unanswerable questions.

Carl Sandburg

Follow this link the the NASA website which gives more information on tonight's super harvest moon.

7 comments:

  1. These shots are spectacular. I saw Jupiter off the moon over the canyon tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ruth... these are spectacular! Jupiter surely has been shining, hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning picture. Love the colors. I was just thinking to myself yesterday all the reasons why autumn is my favorite season. The weather is great the colours are beautiful. What more can a person want?

    I love your background on your blog page. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done with the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Aunt Ruth! I love Autumn but I would be lying if I said I didn't feel a little robbed this year, we never really warmed up this summer. Half my garden isn't even ripe yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS: Are you going to put them on your flickr? That first would make a fantastic wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.