Friday, February 19, 2010

Friday Flowers: Spring will come to Narnia


My mother called me a few days before we drove to Algonquin Park and told me that snow showers were in the forecast for the area. She lives in Mexico but could look up the weather in Huntsville, Ontario on the internet. Winter driving in Ontario can be unpredictable especially near the Great Lakes where heavy snow squalls can move inland quickly, but snow showers seldom bring much snow accumulation.

There were snow showers each day we were there and the landscape looked like the inside of a snow globe. The trees were dusted with snow and were very pretty. I took the first picture at the west gate of the park. The lampstands were still lighted and the scene looked like the entrance to Narnia at the back of the wardrobe in C.S. Lewis' book The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. This is the land where according to Mr. Tumnus, "It is always winter and never Christmas."

But according to Mr. Beaver, "There's no mistake. Aslan is on the move."

I bought a pot of daffodils at the grocery store which were just developing buds. We watched them develop and open this week and the blooms brightened the dull, grey days of late winter. The signs of spring are far more subtle outdoors but they are there in longer days, enlarging tree buds, the song of the House Finch and the new bright feathers on the Goldfinches.

Spring is coming.

10 comments:

  1. It really does look like entering Narnia.

    Always appreciate daffodils as a sure sign of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty picture, absolutely, the gateway to Narnia. That is one of my favorite movies. On my morning walks I have noticed the birds are singing louder, especially the cardinals. I wonder if they feel that spring will come early this year. Soon all the birds will be arriving from the south to help bring in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder. I'll buy a pot of bulbs today. This time of year I need a reminder of spring to make me believe it really will come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post.Yes spring is coming,but I have to say,that wintery picture is so gorgeous.Scenes like this make winter wonderful Thanks for sharing these.
    Blessings,Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi this is my first visit here. While you are still hibernating in the cold and spring is not yet at hand, i am inviting you our perennial summer blooms here in the tropics, especially my older posts. I will keep your thoughts warm with our vivid colors.

    This photo is wonderful though i have not experienced nor seen such!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures. I also love having bulbs during the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh I hope Spring gets here quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I loved those Narnia books! I read them all to my sons. Your first photo really does look like the entrance to Narnia. Spring is coming in more ways than one.

    "As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will never cease." (Genesis 8:22)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a beautiful pic. Looks like a post-card to me. I loved the Narnia series too.

    Lovely daffys. I have some on my windowsill too - and hyacinths - just bought today, as the mini daffys and tulips died. I save the bulbs and plant them in the garden. Sometimes they come up and sometimes they don't.

    Hope you had a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your first photo so looks like Narnia! How I love those books! Wonderful photography in this post. Winter has certainly made you pensive and introspective! I think that is one thing I like and miss about northern winters! I don't miss the cold though!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.