Thursday, May 29, 2008

Seasons of Life


There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:

a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,

a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,

a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,

a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,

a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,

a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,

a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

Ecclesiastes 3

I have posted pictures of the Sheave Tower in Blair, Ontario three times now, in the summer, fall and winter. I wanted a spring picture to complete the set and was able to take one earlier this month. We experience four definite seasons in Canada and I do enjoy each of them in particular ways. Sandland brother is living in the United Arab Emirates. He misses our seasons and greenery even though he does make the best of what the desert has to offer.

We pass through seasons of life and each has its own beauty too. I am definitely done with spring and will not speculate on whether this is my summer or early autumn. Working with elderly people I have learned that inside of them there still lives someone who is perhaps 30 or 40 years old. Our bodies age faster than the perception of ourselves does.

My mother and her older brother Bill are shown skating in this picture in the 1940's. I am sure this does not seem that long ago to Mom even though she has done a lot of living since her teenage years. She is with her brother and father in the picture below.


About 12 hours ago Uncle Bill passed away peacefully after a long illness. It is a relief for his family that he is no longer suffering, but I know the loss is felt and that Mom is wondering where the years have gone. She came to Canada to see him this past Christmas when he was able to recognize her and enjoy the visit. I also have fine memories of my uncle and he kept in touch with me regularly until the past year or so when his health was failing.

Transitions are not easy and my thoughts and prayers are with my aunt, cousins and mother as a chapter in their lives has closed. When my cousin called me with the news she said, "It was time..."

There is a time for everything under heaven...

15 comments:

  1. This post really touched me - and the 4 seasons in picture did, also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ruth, what a touching and thoughtful post. I think all of your readers will find comfort in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, the cycle of life and seasons is a constant. Prayers for you and your family ascend Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:03 am GMT-4

    What a beautiful post.

    My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the post.
    It is sad that Bill is gone as he was an important part of our life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruth, this post brought fresh tears to my eyes- lots of emotions for me, but I managed to smile through it. Such truth here. And like Beth said, comfort too. This is a beautiful post. I'm sorry for your family's loss, but believe Bill is with all those who have gone before him.

    You photo of the seasons is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely and moving post. We would all do well to keep that in mind as we scurry through our busy lives. You and your family will be much in our thoughts today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a well done memorial post! You tied it all together SO well. Peace to you and Bill's family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good series of photos. I've thought of doing that but never have.

    I believe you very much about old people feeling that they are in their 30's or 40's. Once you're mature, you're mature.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:25 pm GMT-4

    Your post was just what I needed. Yesterday morning while at prayer I was praying for my only brother, Bill, and I felt I was being told to release him and pray for strength for his family. I did so and his son-in-law thanked me this morning saying that he went easily about one hour later.
    There is a time and I am glad for the strength to continuing working until my time also comes
    Blessing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5:33 pm GMT-4

    Ruth, my sympathies to your family. You have written a lovely post about the transitions in one's lifetime. It was very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos, Ruth, and a beautiful reflection on your uncle. I especially love to hear/read Ecclesiastes 3. It is just as comforting as Psalm 23 when the Lord says "it's time to come home." Prayers to comfort all those who mourn your uncle's passing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed and appreciated this post! And I loved the 4-seasons pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ruth--
    sorry to be away and miss this sad family news--told so lovingly though.
    Passages are difficult in life--family, friends and faith help us through, though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Mary, Rondi and Donna.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.