Saturday, May 12, 2007

New Spring Birds, a Toad and Deer

I had a couple of patient cancellations at my community job one day this week, a financial loss of perhaps $100.00.

So I went for an early morning walk instead, serenaded by birdsong. I saw at least a dozen Baltimore Orioles, a few busy Yellow Warblers, including this one taking milkweed silk for a nest, and one beautiful Northern Flicker on a dead branch overlooking the river. And yes, I noticed the toad before I stepped on it.

Spring migration is moving north.....monetary value, priceless.

When I got home, there was a Rose-breasted Grosbeak on my feeder. I have never seen one before, let alone in my yard. This is a very poor picture taken in evening light through the screen on my window, but he scares away very easily if I approach the doorway. He loves the nyjer seed and has stayed for two days now. I believe the other bird in the picture is a female house sparrow. I am not sure that I have seen the female grosbeak.

We went to the Niagara region today to see the spring blossoms and flowers. I am not the only one having trouble with my tulips. This was taken at the Butterfly Conservatory. The beautiful gardens here are maintained by the Niagara Parks' School of Horticulture.

5 comments:

  1. Ruth: Can you hear me moan??? Baltimore Orioles? Everyone has them except me. My home town bird. Your photos are so good!!!

    I'm sulking. Liza has swallows and you have Orioles.

    I am so glad you didn't flatten the toad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! You got a Grosbeak at your feeder! Indeed, seeing all you saw was priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary- I was sure every migrating bird in the continent went through your neighbourhood! I have to work so hard for my bird shots (but I have fun!)

    Jayne- You too must live on the migration path. You inspire me to keep looking for those elusive birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. _Glad you had a chance to get out and do some birding.-I had terrible luck trying to get good photos-I'm studying up on my owners manual today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry- I took about 70 pictures and only a handful were keepers. When I get into the digital zoom, it is very hard to keep the camera steady in my hands. However, even a bad picture helps me ID a bird. I think you do a good job with your bird pics.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.