While my faith is important, I am not a religious person. Religious people follow dogmas, rules and rituals that are often man-made and divisive. Nothing is uglier than a group of "christians" fighting among themselves or with others over an interpretation of scripture or a particular doctrine.
I attend church regularly, not to save my soul, but to share with others and encourage them as they grow in their faith. I can worship with true believers from many different denominations. My faith is as important to me from Monday to Saturday as it is on Sunday. The Bible has more condemnation of religion than commendation. Jesus had harsh words for the hypocrisy of the religious leaders of his time who were outwardly righteous and inwardly corrupt.
James 1:26, 27 defines religion this way.
If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
The meaning of "polluted by the world" in this context means this to me. My behaviour is not influenced by the desire to accumulate things for myself, whether that is fame, influence, money, or material possessions. My moral compass is set by scriptural guidelines.
In Galatians 5:6, Paul says, "The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love."
So, with that background in place, here is meme.
- 1. You have to use your own belief system for the meme. No fair using someone else’s to make a joke or satire. Being humorous about your own religion is encouraged!
- 2. You have to have at least one joy and one trial. More are encouraged. And no, they don’t have to be equal in length, but please be honest.
- 3. You have to tag at least one other person. More are appreciated!
- 4. Please post these rules
- I do not have to struggle to make myself good enough for God to love me. "This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe." Romans 3:22
- I can share God's love with others by accepting them and caring for their needs even if they are not like than me.
- My life has a purpose and even if my role is small, I can make a difference in the lives of others.
- I can have joy even in difficult times, because my peace and happiness comes from God.
- That Christianity has such a negative image to some because of harsh and judgemental people who condemn people without even trying to love or understand them.